Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Enjoying Runequest 6 at last, thanks to degrading vision - Also, RQ6 Firearms

Everyone knows I love BRP and the Runequest system, as well as spin offs such as Legend. A few of you who read this blog know I have lamented my inexplicable issue with the Runequest 6 font, which boils down to the fact that it has a loopy t and p that distract me to no end, as when my eye "hits" the word it is drawn to the loop like its some sort of unique character or printing error.

There is bad and good news! Lately my vision has been deteriorating, and I am scheduling an eye appointment to see what's up....on my last pair of contacts, anyway. However I am diabetic and sometimes the eyes get a little loopy. For the last three years my vision has been on a steady and inexplicable improvement, but within the last six weeks or so they've gotten noticeably worse, and I am not sure if its my contacts about to go or if I really have some new issue.

It's probably from playing too much Rift!

That said, I popped open the Runequest 6 book again and was pleasantly surprised to notice that I wasn't even noticing the annoying loop anymore. It seems that my slight difficulty in focusing has diminished the obvious presence of the loops, allowing the lizard-portion of my brain that was annoyed by them to relax and carry on with its lizard duties. This is a good thing.

So I plan to finish reading and absorbing Runequest 6 in total before my opthamologist appointment in a couple weeks. See, always a silver lining to every storm cloud!

UPDATE

As an aside, I hadn't noticed this before but the Design Mechanism posted rules on firearms (including modern and futuristic firearms) on their download page, here. There's also the GM's Pack with scenarios there if you didn't know about it, and the form-fillable character sheet for Runequest 6. Alas, no specific word on when any new supplements will be forthcoming.

5 comments:

  1. They also posted a full 47-page Star Wars supplement, which they unfortunately took down because they feared they could be sued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding...I would love to see it! I don't think blending Star Wars with BRP-powered systems has been attempted before.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Alas, no specific word on when any new supplements will be forthcoming.

    Our December News feed has a lot more detail on supplements. We've posted the covers for both Monster Island and Book of Quests, which are in editing/layout right now, with early 2013 release dates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip....will check it out for a new blog post this week!

      Delete