Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Looking at Blog Stats (NSFW, heh)

Poking into the Google Stats is always an interesting experience. For one thing, I am usually always surprised at what's actually getting the most hits. The top five articles in the last 30 days on RoC include, in order, with hits over 30 days:

My review of Return of the Living Dead (177)

Five Things I'm Not Going to Miss About Pathfinder (173)

An Open Letter to One Book Shelf (154)

Building Fantasy Worlds in Five Easy Steps (142)

Chivalry & Sorcery 4th Edition Rules are Out (93)

(not going to feed the beast by linking, use the search button if you want....)

Why these five? Damned if I know....my diatribe about Pathfinder has been fairly popular, which I find a bit odd. I've noticed that a little vitriol or negativity can go a long way with blog hits, although "doing it right" is hard....for me at least doing it right is a lesson in how to make it entertaining without coming off like a crazed loon or half-mad old geezer sitting on his lawn, as many other blogs end up doing. Not easy, I assure you.

Why the review of the Return of the Living Dead? No clue at all unless someone, somewhere, is hunting for Linnea Quigley pics. It does, after all, have a NSFW designation in the title. Again, seems like those four letters make great click bait. Pity I'm ad-free!

Open Letter to One Book Shelf....I suppose I'm glad it gets some attention. It was linked in another more popular blog than mine (Tobold's Blog) so probably why it gets a higher number of hits.

Building Fantasy Worlds in Five Easy Steps....a fun little "roll a world" generator I posted like ages ago, ignored for so long, but suddenly collecting 142 hits in the last four weeks. Did someone link to it somewhere?

C&S.....who knew it was still popular enough to roll in some hits?

I remain, as always, both amused and perplexed at what gets the most hits on this site. As always I write what I want, but with the caveat that I try to make it something other people will want to read as well. The blog has been a fantastic method of engaging in "displinary writing," though I admit the ultimate goal of turning that learned process of disciplinary writing into something that will eventually field actual novels is still a bit behind the curve. Behind the scenes I am writing plenty of game content...and much of it ends up on the blog, but that's not honestly what gets the most hits.

Well, if I ever go for an ad-based blog model you'll know it when I start listing daily articles with the "Top Ten Horror Movies Linnea Quigley is nude in!!! (NSFW)" every day....



No comments:

Post a Comment