Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Runequest 2 getting a reprint with fixed errata

Look at it right here. Yeah, so this turns out to be a real thing (thanks Erik; weird work schedules haven't dulled your ability to get a cool scoop). I saw a post about this recently but breezed over it on the assumption it was some fan mockup. Nope.

Wow.

The idea that there will be a modern reprint of RQ2 to play with is actually the most interesting news I've heard in the Chaosium realm. For those of you not in the know, RQ2 was a very clean, concise and detailed look at the RQ mechanics, but it was also very tight in design. It assumed Glorantha as a setting, yes, but you could do what you wanted with it. RQ3 tried to make Mythic Europe the default, to good effect, but it also added some layers of complication to the rules as well.

I'd play RQ2 straight-up again (sans Glorantha...sorry, just not a Gloranthaphile). Will have to grab a copy or two once it's in the wild.


Check out the Ken Rolsten quote in the bottom back cover. Neat, considering I've always thought of the Elder Scrolls titles as the "Runequest of computer RPGs."


I am now really, really glad I sold my one RQ2 boxed set that I had held on to when I did; a reprint will (possibly) impact Ebay value on old copies since we all know most of us really want one to play with...right?

Also, it will be fun to contrast classic RQ2 with current RQ6. I admit, there's a lot of stuff I miss from the Old Days of RQ, such as the classic combat mechanics and weapon skills (attack/parry/dodge FTW) as well as a much riskier and deadlier limb-losing experience.

10 comments:

  1. I'd heard the revitalized Chaosium was planning this but it's good to see more confirmation.
    RQ6 is very well done but RQ2 was the first system I loved... and I look forward to a new printing that I don't have to treat quite as gingerly as my aging original.
    I'm not a Gloranthaphile either but like you say, it was easy to go your own way with the system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what it is? It's got the whole thing right there in a fraction of the pages current era tomes do. That's very compelling. Even otherwise very simple systems like T&T can't escape the Giant Rulebook Disease....although thankfully DT&T escapes by having its actual rules still intact, the rest is just cool extras and optional mechanics. I found a copy of Runequest Essentials recently in print, and I have to say....it reminded me of how much nicer it is to have a "small but complete" rulebook over the immense tomes everything has to be these days. If the full page in the RQ6 format was utilized with a better font they could pack even more information in to Essentials, too. It's also why I've preferred Magic World over RQ6...economy of size. So RQ2's return is timely for my needs.

      Delete
  2. I do try :)

    Actually, this week was one overnight, 2 day tours for training and then 4 days off - I go back to work Sat night.

    Trying to find ways to be productive ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I know is my time on swing/graveyard shifts wrecked my productivity, been sticking to office jobs ever since....so hats off to you for finding a way!

      Delete
  3. But the Ducks, you gotta have Ducks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ducks are ubiquitous. After Howard the Duck escaped the Collector he proceeded to explore the multiverse, leaving countless offpsring wherever he went (don't think too hard about this part). Eons later, ducks are EVERYWHERE.

      Delete
    2. Wait, are you saying Howard is from Glorantha?

      Delete
    3. I think it makes for an excellent head canon... =)

      Delete
  4. I had an itch for RQ2 last summer, found a hard cover for $60 . No dust jacket....now.....I guess good things come to those who wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the earliest RPGs I ever played so this is really exciting!

    ReplyDelete