Monday, April 25, 2022

Cypher Space

 This might be a genuinely short post....I often claim that, but this one will endeavor to do so as its quite late and I need to get to bed. I'm back to eyeballing Cypher System as the resource for my next SF campaign, once more. The Stars are Fire sourcebook is a fine SF resource. The Cypher System rules allow for the most character flexibility in terms of interesting and exotic (and supported) design decisions, and it is almost impossible for a player to go through char gen in Cypher and end up on the other side with something that isn't at least interesting. Meanwhile its really the best game ever (yes, it is) in terms of the GM side of the operation....this is the level of mechanical depth I am craving.

The question is....what exactly should I aim for? Resume the "Starship Zhuul" campaign, but powered by Cypher instead of OSE or Starfinder? Adapt my Savage Space campaign to Cypher (Cypher Space, ahem)? Evolve my far-future campaign setting in which humanity is a diaspora which survived the fall of an empire but also lost earth? Ideas, ideas....and that is what is so great about Cypher, it supports all of these ideas exceedingly well and with minimal special effort on my part other than to bring creative thoughts to the process. 

These days my most successful recent games have all been non-fantasy genres*, or fantasy heavily blended. Mothership has been a great success. Every Cypher game I've run has been great (despite feeling like advancement can be too quick, and still wrapping my head around the power levels of high rank PCs). Call of Cthulhu has been a real pleasure to run lately. I'm having fun playing D&D (and PF2E), but it's not precisely in my wheel house of visceral entertainment anymore....I likely have just, well, played too much of it, to be honest, and that's okay. At least I am mixing it up for Saturday by diving deep into the Spelljammer/fantasy space aspects of it (well, working on it....the group is being very cautious in their preparation to do so). 


No comments:

Post a Comment