Thursday, February 28, 2019

Critical D&D Burn Out

Oh boy...I may finally have to confess to myself that I have played so much D&D that I am now burned out on it.

Since the new year began (two frickin' months ago) I've run exactly two games of D&D: one was to wrap the tail end of a campaign from last year to give it some closure, the other was last night, to try out a new campaign starting at level 5. I ran a fairly straight forward dungeon module I'd devised but had some plot-focused quest options floating around for flavor.

What I realized (posthumously to the session) was that I think I have finally, at long last, burned out  --badly-- on the "D&D experience."

I don't know if it's just D&D as a system, though....or 5E specifically. Here's the conundrum:

1. I continue to enjoy Starfinder (which is just space Pathfinder)
2. Last year the few games of Pathfinder I ran were a lot of fun and I did feel engaged
3. D&D 5E, every game I have attempted in the last year or so has ultimately been a chore for me.

So...could it be the game system? Could I really just not have much interest or investment in 5E as a game? My only satisfaction really had to do with games I ran for my son, and I have enjoyed the plot-intensive campaign wraps, although with the caveat that not all of that particular campaign was as fun as it used to me (it was honestly a long drag to get to the conclusion, much longer than it needed to be).

I know that Pathfinder is a hard sell to my players, moreso even with PF2.0 on the horizon, but I almost feel like I owe it to myself to explore that system some more, as maybe it's just "different enough" to add back in elements that I really like in D&D that have been missing from 5th edition. Like a more robust/meaningful skill system, for example. Or maybe the flashy, wacky numbers of Pathfinder just feel more substantive to me than the bounded accuracy of D&D, even though I felt that the bounded accuracy was a good solution to controlling runaway numbers.

Or, well, maybe (and I do know this to be true) inflated hit points and damage totals in 5E aren't all that fun for me as the GM.

I do know that if I had picked some other system last night for the game, such as BRP (Magic World), Cypher System or even (I suspect) Pathfinder that I might have enjoyed it more. I think....I think as much as I hate to admit it, I am craving some combination or either novelty, complexity or realism in my games such that D&D 5E is just a poor fit for the kind of gaming I want to do now.

Things to ponder!




(EDIT: I was wondering if this issue ties in to my discontent with Fantasy AGE, but I don't think so. Fantasy AGE suffers, if anything, from being too underwhelming and too simple, much like 5E.)

6 comments:

  1. Went through the same thing. A month of Savage Worlds fixed it for me though. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savage Worlds is a good choice, I haven't run it in a while, should plan to do so again!

      Delete
  2. Do you think 5e isn't complex enough for a hobbyist, only a more casual player, for your tastes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 5E is pretty complex, but I think maybe I've played so much D&D in general that I'm a bit burned out on the style of D&D....which in theory means I might find less satisfaction in Pathfinder, too. I think this has nothing to do with 5E as a system, it has to do with me having run one edition or another 1-2 times a week for almost 40 years. Interests change, and it just means I'm probably getting more satisfaction out of a flexible system like Cypher, or a fiddly SF/fantasy hybrid like Starfinder, which is just different enough to escape feeling similar. I'll post more....but I think it's less "system" and more the "D&Disms" that are not exciting me right now.

      Delete
  3. I understand. I've had frustrations with D&D-ish system tropes too. I wrote a comment awhile back that I was working on a Robotech-like game. I'm proof-reading it now. I'll be posting a commentary track with it that goes over those frustrations.

    By the way, Savage Worlds posted playtest rules for their official Robotech game.

    http://forums.strangemachinegames.com/forums/topic/robotech-rpg-alpha-5-download/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What burned me out on Fantasy AGE is the fact they don't want to support it, it was the same with Dragon AGE to a lesser degree.

    ReplyDelete