Saturday, May 20, 2023

The Nightmare of Moving as a RPG Collector

 A brief gripe post, always fun those! I am preparing for a possible move (looks like we may be closing on a house, all pieces seem to be falling in to place as intended), and so I have been packing up box after box of books. Excluding normal non-gaming books I must have four dozen banker box and magazine box sized boxes full of books. It's a lot. For the record, I am 52 years old. If you are younger, I warn you that moving does not get better with age! It gets worse. You will want to hire people to do this stuff, trust me.

Anyway, it's really made me think a bit on how much crap I have, and why I have it. These days I've been investing my time in a limited set of games, and in perusing the many boxes I have packed, I realize I have hundreds of books that I think, at this point in life, I can be assured I may never use (or even read) again. In fact, setting aside "books I am using or know I will use" I suspect I can fill maybe 4-5 boxes at most with "books that have pure sentimental value or a collectibility that transcends my desire for reduction."

Time for another house cleaning! Maybe I can find some other homes for some of these books before I move.

2 comments:

  1. We are about the same age and similar interests in rpg products. I moved 3 times last year, each time lugging box after box of rpg products, modern stuff all the way back to the 70s.
    Long story short about a week ago our new home burnt to the ground, taking with it 3 full bookshelves of d&d, pathfinder, and too many other systems to list.
    If at any point you decide you are parting with some of your collection I would love to take a look at the list and prices and see if I could help you lighten your load.
    Regardless, keep up the blogging and watch out for wildfires. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a wishlist email me and I can see what I have (and I do have a lot)...toribergquist at gmail dot com

      Delete