Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Music - Three Albums To Listen To - Dead Planet by Eat Static, Balle by Yullipe, and Tamoanchan by El Buho

One thing I want to do with this blog in 2018 is to explode it a bit. I can only write about games so much, but I also happen to love music, archaeology, astronomy and other stuff such as good books. I won't ever dive into politics -the blog is my happy space!- but I'd love to write about these other interests more, and how they might also bend around gaming. Music, for example, is excellent for background noise during games. Indeed, I used to do this more often on the blog a few years ago....

I'm a huge fan of Bandcamp, which is a fantastic resource for finding and supporting a bewildering variety of musicians on the world scene. Over the last couple years I've discovered some really incredible gems at Bandcamp, and thought I'd share them with you.

Fair warning: I love music, but I'm eclectic in my tastes and I'm not much of a critic, so if you want to read the almost poetic and nuanced reviews of music available elsewhere....well, head on over to elsewhere and get that! I'll just be using my plain language attempt to convey what is so cool about this stuff, while linking you to it since listening to the actual music at Bandcamp is so easy, anyway.

First up, the album I love the most and have listened to almost more than anything in the last two years or so...

Dead Planet by Eat Static:



The science fiction thematics, the electronic conveyance of lost worlds and strange stars, the general sense of the otherworldly are all embedded deep in this music.

Next up is Tamoanchan by El Buho.  his is a deep, modern take on traditional Mesoamerican themes, mixed with modern dark tones and content. It's very resonant and excellent mood music.



For something especially different and haunting try Balle by Yullipe, a Japanese artist who marks industrial music such as Nine Inch Nails as well as 90's Japanese theatrical bands (which feel a bit to me like the Japanese version of grunge from that time) as her influence....but listen to her work, it's singularly unique and haunting. An interesting article is here about her and the Japanese music scene, along with the problems of public dance spots in Japan.




No comments:

Post a Comment