Sunday, October 25, 2015

Secret Confession: I can't get into isometric RPGs anymore

I'm not knocking them...definitely not; these are all clearly good games. I've played a few to death in the distant past (Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale specifically) and in the ancient past played all the precursor Gold Box SSI games....Treasures of the Savage Frontier remains one of my best experiences ever. But....I've been having a hard time feeling motivation to play far in any of the amazing isometric RPGs currently out there, and I'm not sure why. Pillars of Eternity....Divinity: Original Sin, Sword Coast Legends, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns are all cool games, but apparently the "thing" that pushes one to play them is just not clicking for me. In each case I get quite motivated on an initial sit down, but after the opening session is done it takes me weeks sometimes to find time to come back, and by then it's ...well...not all it seemed after all; the motivation or fascination is either gone or the lapsed time has dragged me out of it. The old days of starting one of these games and finishing it in a week or two are way beyond my ability and free time these days, apparently. That, or flashier games like Destiny, Mad Max and Batman: Arkham Knight are just ruining my ability to enjoy video games that don't rely heavily on audio-visual immersion.

No comments:

Post a Comment