Monday, March 11, 2013

Jim Sterling Speaks the Truth about Preorders

Thank god for Jim!



I pre-ordered Aliens: Colonial Marines (on the PC, which seemed to have fewer issues than the console version), and while I wasn't as traumatized by it as many were and even enjoyed the single player campaign, although the multiplayer remains inaccessible for me, I also didn't spend as much on it as I could, having bought it on sale at Green Man for about $30. On the other hand, I've also got the Season Pass for A:CM as part of the deal, and to be honest, I don't see it being useful to me know, since either the game is bugged and won't let me get into multiplayer, or there's simply no one playing it. It's AvP all over again, but with atrocious bad press.

But know what? I also preordered Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3. And Both of those games were already selling for $40 at Origin recently, and elsewhere. These are both games I will or am enjoying, albeit with less time recently to devote to playing them (what with saturating myself with PS3 titles and such), so I am reminded, once again, of why one should never, ever buy any games that aren't part of a huge Steam sale...or one of the many emulation sales by Steam's competitors.

Either way, Jim is right: we need to stop preordering, stop buying season passes without hard evidence the game's worth it, and try to assuage the game industry from engaging in these abusive marketing tactics.


No comments:

Post a Comment