Monday, January 7, 2013

The Pathfinder Online Horse Race

I've been having fun watching this one. I have no stake in it--their design goal is a big step away from the sort of game concientous "casual" carebears like me want to participate in...i.e. fantasy Eve is not a selling point for me--but I still like the concept of Pathfinder and pretty much anyone succeeding at what they attempt. I admit to being skeptical of their business model....their manpower....their goals...and even why this game is called Pathfinder, a game which bears little actual resemblance to the thing PFO is described as setting out to be. But anyway....seven days left!

Pathfinder Online: A Fantasy Sandbox MMO -- Kicktraq Mini


One bit I find interesting is that they've announced they are using the Unity Engine to design Pathfinder Online. This is an engine which I was unfamiliar with until literally a few days ago, after buying my Nexus 7 Tablet. It turns out a lot of Android/iOS and indie games are designed using Unity (including two recent new faves of mine, Dead Trigger and Shadowgun), which is a weird sort of deal, because it seems to me its a decent enough engine to design games that need to look good on small screens with tablet-level processing power, but not so sure it's going to look as good as...say...the next generation or two of MMOs that are going to be coming out between now and the prospective 2015 release date for PFO.


No comments:

Post a Comment