Friday, June 17, 2016

Friday Blaaaaaagh! Shadow of the Demon Lord, Runequest and Beasties


Low post week....life has been busy!

I snagged Shadow of the Demon Lord recently, and have been absorbing it bit by bit. I've enjoyed it enough that I have snagged the six POD supplements available on rpgnow, and as they trickle in I am thinking hard about what I can do with this. If you're not too familiar with it, Shadow of the Demon Lord is it's own special deal, but it has some core conceits worth mentioning:

1. It is totally not a clone of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but it definitely will make fans of that system feel right at home.

2. It is not a D20 System game, but the rules mechanics are lite enough to figure out easily and robust enough for you to do a lot with the system if you so desire.

3. The world of SotDL is totally not the Warhammer Fantasy World...it's a little bit grimmer and darker in my opinion. It is also more of a skeletal frame on which to hang this totally metal grimdark setting, with lots of room to "make it your own."

Anyway, I am thinking I may have to try running this after the Runequest 6 campaign runs its course.

Speaking of Runequest 6.....we're running it now on Saturdays. Yay! All that crippling time/effort anxiety evaporated after I set my mind to it. I've missed playing RQ, glad to be back. I also have some ideas about how I can use Mythras for some SF gaming in the near future....it looks like that will be fairly easy to do, going by the Mythras Imperative.

Night Owl Workshop produced a S&W supplement titled Beasties. You should check it out, it's a fantastic resource for W&S gaming, especially White Box, with some excellent illustrations of the monsters as well.

Other than that, it's been a busy work with family health, work, and my son. Maybe next week will be better....!

No comments:

Post a Comment