Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Realms of Chirak: Pathfinder Edition on the way

Just a short note for Saturday: I've resumed development of the Pathfinder edition of The Realms of Chirak. It's about 80% complete right now, and the main hold up since I last worked on this project was finding the time and energy to work on stat blocks for monsters and NPCs in the tome. Right now I have about half of that complete, and all of the incidental conversions (races, locations, feats, items) done. Given that I had a mostly complete 3.5 edition of the Chirak document complete a few years ago pre-4E arrival, this isn't as difficult as it might sound, but making sure its a proper conversion (and not a sloppy port) is the goal here.

Also, I'm taking this opportunity to clean up the editing errors and mistakes that crept through the 4E version of the document (and if there's any peeve you have about the prior edition, let me know so I can fix it, too!) and I am also updating several sections to include new and updated material. The Espanea and Kasdalan sections will get beefed up, for example, and I am debating how much of my copious Sabiri content to expand upon (if I put it all in then Sabiri will show as the single most well-defined section in the book, not that there's anything wrong with that). I am also considering adding in new and expanded content detailing the Xoxtocharit and the regions to the east of the Sea of Chirak area that were completely undetailed in the prior edition.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun to work with Chirak again (I mean, I haven't even run a new scenario or campaign in this setting since late last year!), and I am getting into the spirit of the Pathfinder design process. I have to concede, the Bestiary monster design mechanics in Pathfinder do try hard to make it a bit easier than it was in the 3.5 days (ever so slightly, but even a little bit counts).

With any luck, I'll have the Pathfinder edition out the door sometime in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment